WHY READ AND STUDY THE BIBLE?
In order to discover God’s purpose for my life, implement it and to improve my relationship with Him, I will spend time daily in prayer, reading the Bible and meditating on i
2 Timothy 3:16-17 Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us.
– God prepares us, through learning, implementing and living the twelve steps to become the best version of who created us to be. The Twelve Steps accompanied by Scripture are our training programme to living God’s way.
Hebrews 4:12 God means what he says. What He says goes. His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey.
– Studying the Bible, not just reading it regularly and checking ourselves against it shape our character. Through prayer the Holy Spirit highlights what we need to do, how it needs to be done, when it needs to be done and equips us to DO IT!
John 8:31-32 Jesus turned to the Jews who had claimed to believe in him. “If you stick with this, living out what I tell you, you are my disciples for sure. Then you will experience for yourselves the truth, and the THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE.”
– The truth about ourselves, about God and about life is revealed through daily interaction with God’s Word. We experience it through obedience to what His Word reveals to us personally, as a group and as a COMMUNITY.
Psalms 119:50-52 These words hold me up in bad times; yes, your promises rejuvenate me. The insolent ridicule me without mercy, but I don’t budge from your revelation. I watch for your ancient landmark words, and know I’m on the right track.
– The Bible helps us through bad times. Recovery is not always an easy process but God’s promise to us of changed life is always true and keeps us on the right track when we STAY FOCUSED.
Psalms 119:26-27 When I told my story, you responded; train me well in your deep wisdom. Help me understand these things inside and out so I can ponder your miracle-wonders.
– Through the Bible God responds to us and trains us in His wisdom. Through the Bible we learn to understand His ways and adapt them to our daily living. Changed life begins on the inside.
Psalms 119:89 What God says stays, as permanent as the heavens. His truth never goes out of fashion; it’s as up-to-date as the earth when the sun comes up. His Word and truth are as dependable as ever.
– The Bible is as relevant and dependable as it has always been. Reading and studying it daily changes our thinking, belief and commitment to changing our lives and becoming all He is calling us to be.